I have never been to an Ikea , I know I am 34 and it's shocking right? So today, random Thursday, day off, nothing going on, my Mom calls and says "wanna take a ride" (although I am sure that she didn't really say wanna) I said sure and she said "How about Ikea". Now Ikea is a huge thing around here, It was built 2 years ago and there are even signs on the highway warning you of ramp traffic on the weekends. So of course I am dying to see what all the fuss is about. So we are driving and I have to admit we are both pretty excited. (We tend to get that way about things in my family) we get there, and there are these super cool flags welcoming us in., The anticipation is killing me, We hurriedly park, fly out of the car and go in through the beautiful Ikea doors. You have to take an escalator into the store, so as we are riding it, my heart is pounding with retail therapy anticipation. We get off the escalator and BOOM there we are, with arrows and signs. We aren't even sure where to begin. We start to roam and I can feel my pulse returning to normal. Actually I have to admit I am underwhelmed, (Insert Gasp here) I am bored, I am thinking that this is like any other furniture store in Massachusetts, except the signs are in Swedish... I am sad...I am disappointed... I can safely tuck my debit card away knowing that she (yes I have a girl debit card) won't be doing any exercise today. Although it was fun trying to pronounce all the Swedish words for everything. But despite my disappointment I did come away with some knowledge:
THE TOP ELEVEN THINGS I LEARNED AT IKEA TODAY
1. In order to fully benefit from Ikea furniture you must be short and thin...Half the things there didn't seem like they could support my cat let alone me or Riley for that matter.
2. Despite an item being what you think it might be, make sure to read the fine print beneath the Swedish name, you just might be surprised.
3. Cardboard from Sweden has a different smell than American cardboard ( I know weird that I notice these things)
4. You know how supposedly the Eskimos have 100 different words for snow, well Ikea has 100 different words for Bag. (which we found out they don't give you if you buy anything)
5. Swedish people really LOVE THEIR LINGONBERRY JAM .. I mean really really love it..
6. Swedish Fish really did originate in Sweden (mmm I love the red ones!!)
7. Just because it looks like a piece of chocolate rolled in coconut , doesn't mean that it is in fact a piece of chocolate rolled in coconut.
8. Ikea has a pillow for every type of sleeper out there , The side sleeper, the back sleeper, the belly sleeper, The I am going to smother you will a pillow if you don't shut up soon sleeper.( that on is my favorite)
9. Despite several people telling me I could spend all day there, after about 1/2 hour I was ready to leave.
10. The Ikea employees are not allowed to walk anywhere, they sorta swoosh past you in a yellow and blue haze.
11. Watch out for other disappointed people leaving Ikea, they tend to drive fast, really fast.
So despite probably being the only member of my family or maybe even in all of Massachusetts that doesn't like an Ikea, I still might say yes the next time my mom calls and asks me if I want to go for a ride (that is as long as I get to pick the next place)